Vegan Brownie Recipe (Gluten Free)
- Prep time - 20 minutes
- Cooking time - 45 minutes
- Difficulty - Easy
- Portions/ Servings - 16 to 20 people
- Storage - Ambient, Fridge or Freezer
- Shelf life - Weeks
- Gluten Free
Vegan Brownie Ingredients
Hopefully you have some of these ingredients in your store cupboard already. If not, here’s a breakdown of what you need and things you may need to add to your shopping list:
Chocolate - Go for the best you can get and go dark
Oil - A neutral oil is best like Rapeseed (Canola), Sunflower or Vegetable. Olive oil is good, just, best to avoid the really expensive stuff, unless you want the funky, fruity, bitter flavours
Sugar - Some sweetness is needed a fine caster sugar dissolves quicker than a coarse granulated kind
Cornflour - This is the binding agent, the glue to hold it all together and stop the brownie from splitting. It replaces the binding properties that eggs normally bring to baking
Water - Strangely an important ingredient to help with the binding of the oil and the corn flour, tap water is totally fine
Ground Almonds - This is to add structure and nut flour is very tasty too, try hazelnut also if you can get your hands on it
Oat Flour - More ballast to add to the structure of the brownie, remember to get the gluten free kind if you want to make this for celiacs or people with wheat intolerances
Coco Powder - This adds a richness to the cake and depth in flavour
Salt - This is a flavour enhancer and will make it all taste even more chocolatey
- 425g (15oz) dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 190ml (7fl oz) / (170g/ 6½oz) rapeseed oil
- 330g (11¾oz) caster (superfine) sugar
- 25g (1oz) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 40ml (1½ floz) cold water
- 260ml (9¾fl oz) boiling water
- 175g (4¼oz) ground almonds
- 125g (4¼oz) oat flour (gluten-free)
- 50g (1¾oz) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan/ 320°F/gas 4 and line your 22 x 33 x 5cm (8½ x 13 x 2in) baking tray (sheet pan)
- Melt the chocolate and oil in a bain-marie until combined, then transfer to a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, but leave the bain-marie on the heat with the water in the pan still simmering. Add the sugar to the chocolate and oil mixture and combine.
- In the same bowl you used for the bain-marie, mix together the cornflour (cornstarch) and cold water. Once they’re combined, add the boiling water, then place the bowl back on the simmering pan to heat up as you stir. The cornflour will thicken the mixture to a dropping consistency.When that happens, you can transfer this mixture to your bowl and beat until the batter becomes glossy and emulsified.
- Then slowly add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing until fully combined. If the mixture splits, add a splash of boiling water to bring it together. Pour into your lined tray and bake for 40–45 minutes until just set. Best eaten while still a little warm with some coconut ice cream. This will keep for weeks in an airtight container in the fridge.
Mix like mad. Really give this brownie some welly.
If the mixture does look like it’s split, add a splash of warm water to the mixing bowl and it should bring it all together again.
Out of the three main brownie base recipes we make, this one is the firmest, so bear this in mind when you’re plotting alterations.
If you’re in the mood to experiment, the liquid in the cornflour paste can easily be switched out for something crazy like a stout or red wine.
Can you freeze your vegan brownie?
Yes, absolutely, it will freeze like a dream and keep for months. Just keep in mind that brittles, nuts and other crunchy additions may loose their snap and bite from being in the freezer.
How long does vegan brownie last in the fridge?
Months, keep it in an airtight container and it’ll be perfectly fine for months. Even out of the fridge this brownie will keep for a few weeks.
Are these suitable for coeliacs?
Yes, but you must use gluten free oats. For some tips on cross contamination from Coeliac UK click here.
This is a solid gluten free and vegan brownie base recipe, so you can add lots of other ingredients to make this your own.
Some white chocolate, dried cranberries and walnuts will make this fit for any Christmas gathering.
We make a version with peanut butter which works a treat. Click here to see that recipe.
Why Exploding Bakery Vegan Brownies Are the Bomb
- Ethical: Sometimes choosing vegan food doesn't always mean it's good for the environment, especially when it comes to pal oil. This is why we give it a wide berth. We simply don't trust the so called "sustainable" palm oil. Rain forest was cut down to plant it, do it will never get our vote.
- No Gluten: We like to use almond flour instead of conventional wheat flour. Our regeneratively grown almonds from Food & Forest add so much flavour, plus it means this brownie is good for coeliacs as well as people on a vegan diet.
- Real Chocolate: We choose the best single origin chocolate in the world from our friends at Luker Chocolate. This high quality cacao is also one of the most ethically grown chocolates in the world too. A double win.
Why Send Someone The Exploding Bakery Vegan Brownies
- 100% Plant-Based Delight: Our vegan bakes ensure every mouthful of these brownies is ethical and delicious. The best cruelty-free treat for the discerning palate.
- Unforgettable Flavour Burst: Dive into the world of gourmet vegan baking with a brownie that promises a taste explosion unlike any other.
- Artisan Quality Ingredients: Sourcing only the finest sustainable and vegan ingredients, our brownies redefine luxury in vegan confectionery.
- Handmade Craftsmanship: Every brownie is a piece of artisan vegan art, meticulously crafted to represent our commitment to exceptional vegan baking.
- Perfect Texture Combo: Experience the joy of crunchy and gooey in one bite – the hallmark of the best vegan brownies online.
- Eco-Friendly Treat: Pairing vegan goodness with sustainable packaging, we're the number one choice for those searching for environmentally conscious desserts in a plastic free delivery.
- Coffee's Best Mate: A harmonious pairing awaits when you combine our brownies with our current coffee offering, making them the top pick for vegan coffee breaks.
- Allergen Considerate: Ditching dairy, eggs and gluten, we've crafted the go-to snack for those seeking allergy-friendly vegan treats.
- Unique Artisanal Touch: Not your average online vegan bakery offering. Each brownie brings a touch of distinct charm and character.
- Freshness Guaranteed: Hunted for fresh vegan desserts delivered? Look no further. Our brownies are baked and dispatched with utmost love and care.
Whether you're searching for the best vegan brownies, a sustainable treat, or a gourmet vegan experience, The Exploding Bakery has got you covered.
Dive into the world of decadent vegan delights today!
For more recipes like this, check out our baking book. One cake tin, 90 unbeatable recipes and a lot of fun.
A whole load of tasty cake recipes – from knockout carrot cake, banana bread, tiffin, crumble cake and cheesecake to an irresistible array of brownies – awaits you here and they're all made in one size of brownie tin.
Start simple and work your way up to experimenting with new flavour combinations, different flours and seasonal ingredients if the mood takes you.
What's important is that these recipes are for everyone who's serious about delicious cake.
If you're after homemade cake, but without the need for fancy equipment, expert decorating skills and five spare hours, Bake It. Slice It. Eat It. is the cookbook for you.
There are gluten-free options, healthier ideas, and more advanced ones, too, so there's something for every occasion.